What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?

Co-written by: Mel and LJ


Zack quietly walked up behind Rene and wrapped his arms around his lover’s waist. Nuzzling the side of Rene’s neck, he murmured, “The table looks beautiful, sweetheart. It will more than meet Papa’s standards.” Turning Rene around, Zack kissed him soundly before saying, “The pasta and Alfredo sauce are ready to serve and the scallops are done to perfection. I trust our guests will arrive any minute now.” Both men laughed when the words had barely left Zack’s lips and there was a knock on the front door.

“I’ll get it,” Zack offered, placing another kiss on his partner’s mouth. “Come on in; you’re right on time!” he greeted and a moment later found himself warmly embraced by one of his fathers.

“Hello, Piglet! I tried to get your Dad here a little early but met with a bit of resistance,” Todd teased as he hugged his son. He looked up at Hayden and winked. They were all well aware of who was responsible for any hold ups. “We have some exciting news for you both and there are so many plans to make for the wedding.” He released Zack and reached for Rene. Gently hugging his still somewhat-shy, future son-in-law, Todd softly inquired, “No more problems with that tooth, right?”

Rene returned the hug. He was growing more comfortable around Zack’s dads and Todd’s enthusiasm was hard to resist. What was hardest of all to resist, was the gentle kind man who had healed his tooth with professional care and fatherly tenderness. “No problems at all, sir. The tooth has been feeling just fine, thanks to you.”

Hayden smiled broadly as he embraced his son. “We’re happy to be here tonight, my boy.” He handed Zack a bottle of wine. “I brought you some of the Pinot Gris from Grey Monk; it should go well with the scallops.”

“Thanks, Dad, this is wonderful. Everything’s ready and I suggest we sit down before it gets cold. I have a feeling we’re in for some exhilarating dinner conversation.”

After the hot food had been placed on the table and Zack had poured the wine, the four men took their places and began to serve themselves.

“So who wants to share their news first?” Zack asked with an amused chuckle as he ladled sauce over his pasta. He winked at Rene and glanced back and forth between his fathers.

Hayden looked to Todd with a grin. “Well I thought I’d tell you boys about my new career,” he offered. “I got a job with the province’s Vital Statistics department. It seems, Zack; that you were correct when you said that there was a shortage of Marriage Commissioners in this area. After going through the application process and training course, I am now a licensed Marriage Commissioner for the province of British Columbia. And if you two are interested, I’d be very happy to perform your marriage ceremony.”

Todd sat there beaming from ear to ear. It had been so hard for him to keep Hayden’s secret and he was glad it was finally out in the open. He watched the expression on their son’s face change from surprise to elation and waited as patiently as possible for Zack to speak.

Zack sat for several seconds in stunned disbelief. “This is...” he stopped and cleared the lump of emotion from of his throat. “This is just the best possible news, Dad. Don’t you agree, love?” He reached over and took Rene’s hand in his, tenderly rubbing his thumb along the back of it.

Rene too was stunned by this news. Zack’s Dad was one incredibly special man to do this for them. “I think it’s just great," he replied. “It will make our wedding extra special having the service performed by someone who means so much to us. Thank you.”

Hayden smiled. “I’m more than happy to do this. You two boys mean the world to Papa and I, and taking this role in your ceremony means a lot to me. It will also be nice for me to have a part-time job performing weddings for other happy couples. It’s a very nice way to keep busy during retirement.”

“This is just so wonderful on several levels, Dad. You have no idea,” Zack commented, slightly shaking his head. “For one thing, Rene and I had discussed getting married on New Year’s Eve, but quickly realized it would probably be impossible to obtain the services of a Marriage Commissioner during the holidays.” He grinned at his father. “Any chance you’d be available that evening? Say... shortly before midnight?”

Hayden turned to Todd, giving him a mock frown. “Do you think we old folks can manage to stay up that late on New Year’s Eve?”

“Well, I guess that depends on just where they plan to hold their special event. We don’t want to be out on the roads and far from home, do we?” Todd merrily went along with his husband’s teasing.

Rene giggled at the two older men. He was so impressed with their loving, teasing ways. It was so different from the way his parents interacted. He hoped that he and Zack would be that happy and have such a good relationship after so many years.

Hayden laughed. “I think we can find ourselves at home that evening. I also think that Papa here might be interested in discussing a menu.”

Zack chuckled. “Yes, as I thought we had already determined to hold the ceremony in your home, Papa, I just assumed it is still okay for us to do so. And I hope you still plan to come up with a theme.” Zack winked at Rene, wondering if the young man was remembering an earlier conversation when they had first announced their plans to marry.

“A theme, huh? Great!” Todd’s eyes sparkled as his mind filled with ideas. “Hmm, have you planned on a specific number of guests?”

Rene shook his head. “I don’t know exactly, but we did say we wanted it to be small; maybe about thirty or so. I don’t know if any of my family will come or not.”

“That’s right. Small and intimate is what we have in mind. I will be inviting my employees as I promised them invitations when they heard of our marriage plans. They have all been with me since I opened the pharmacy and are like an extended family. Rene mentioned his family and possibly his new employer. Are there any friends you and Papa would like to invite, Dad?”

Hayden only needed a moment to think about that. “Uncle Ron and Aunt Millie of course, and Larry and John wouldn’t miss it for all the money in the world as they have doted on you from the day you were born. I have my doubts that Uncle Paul would be able to make it though. It’s a very long trip from Spain. Todd, is there anyone else you can think of?” he asked, looking to his husband.

“Not off hand, my love. I think you’ve covered it very well.” Todd smiled contentedly at the man he had loved and lived with most his life. Deep in his heart, he silently wished the same happiness for these two young men who were only beginning their journey. Turning to Zack and Rene, he inquired, “Have you decided on formal or informal? Do you have any refreshment preferences? Have you both decided on whom to have for Best Man?” Todd considered this all as vital information to ensure the success of the event they were planning.

Zack glanced at Rene and nodded slightly. “We want to keep it simple, Papa; so new suits will be fine. Neither of us is too fussy where food is concerned. We are more that willing to accept any suggestions you may have in regards to a menu.” Zack paused and took a sip of his wine. “As far as a best man for me; now that Dad is performing the nuptials, I’d be honoured if you would be my Best Man, Papa.”

It was Todd’s turn to be shocked into disbelief. He stared at his son as the request sank in and his eyes filled. Next he looked at Hayden and found his husband smiling his support and happiness. Swallowing to get his emotions under control, Todd softly responded, “It is I who is honoured, son.”

Hayden smiled and reached over to give Todd’s hand a squeeze. “Zack, I think you’ve probably done the impossible. You’ve left your papa practically speechless. This is going to be a very special day for all of us.” He smiled at Rene. “And you, Rene; who is going to be your best man?”

Rene chewed on his lip. He’d been thinking about this problem and really hadn’t decided. But suddenly he had the answer. “I have a very good friend from college, but he’s in the States now trying to find work, so I know he can’t make it. But I’ve made a friend here in Jade Heights; Kadyn. He’s a really nice guy. You may have met him. He runs the convenience store. I’d like to ask him.” He looked to Zack. “Do you think it would be okay to ask Kadyn?”

“Yes, honey, I think you’ve made a good choice. Kadyn will be very supportive and I’m sure he will keep things exciting. I don’t know, Dad, if you or Papa have met this young man since moving here but let me tell you, he is more than capable of keeping you entertained.” That statement had all four men laughing.

Caught up in the light-heartedness of the conversation, Todd jokingly suggested. “Hmm, as your best man, I get to throw you a bachelor party.” He stroked his chin as if in thought. “How does this sound? I could hire a sexy man to do a striptease; a man in uniform, maybe a police man. Wonder if I could get that handsome young officer in town? I think his name is Chandi or something like that.”

Rene frowned. He didn’t think he had the right to comment, but he didn’t like the idea of Zack having such a party.

“I think his partner, Eric, would have something to say about that, Papa.” Zack laughed and then turned a little serious. “I would have plenty to say if Rene considered pulling a similar stunt.” Zack glanced at his lover. “Unless of course, it was in the privacy of our own bedroom and I was the only member of his appreciative audience.”

Rene blushed at Zack’s remark, but smiled inwardly at the thought of such a show between himself and Zack.

“This was a delicious meal, Piglets,” Todd sincerely commented, pushing back from the table and rubbing his stomach. “Rene, how about you and I getting these dishes done up while we’re waiting for the coffee to brew?” Getting to his feet and picking up his plate and cutlery, Todd went into director mode. Earlier, his husband had mentioned a wish to have some alone-time with their son. “Hayden, why don’t you and Zack make yourselves comfortable in the living room? Rene and I can bring in the dessert when we’ve finished out here.”

Hayden was appreciative of Todd’s efforts in allowing Zack and him some privacy. When Todd and Rene had carried the last of the dishes to the counter, Hayden put his hand on Zack’s shoulder. “Zack, my boy why don’t we do as Papa suggested and get comfortable in the living room?”

Hayden notice Zack glancing towards the small kitchen area as if he was considering following his partner. Hayden shook his head and smirked to himself and gently took Zack by the arm. “Rene and Papa will be fine and I’d like to have a chance to talk with you.”

With a final look in Rene’s direction, Zack followed the older man into the other room. He had to admit to himself that he was curious about what his father wanted to discuss.

They moved through to the living room and sat across from each other with Zack on the sofa and Hayden sitting in a wingback chair. “My son, marriage is a major step in life. One of the biggest steps you’ll ever make and though it might seem a bit old-fashioned to your mind, I hope you’ll humour your old dad and listen to some fatherly pre-marital advice.”

Zack smiled. He had wondered if his dad would get around to having this discussion with him. “I’m all ears, Dad, and I’ll value any advice you have to offer me.”

“You’ve found yourself a wonderful boy there, son. He’s smart, kind, talented, and not too hard on the eyes either,” Hayden added with a grin. “Now I may be taking a leap here, but I am presuming that you are a chip off the old block and that Rene is not only your partner, but also your Brat?”

Zack flushed slightly but nodded. “How did you know?”

Hayden chuckled. “Not too difficult a thing to spot for a Top with as many years of experienced as I have. You have chosen one who is different in many ways from your Papa. He’s a lot quieter and less... how shall I put it...less flamboyant? But still, a Brat is a Brat and there are similarities.”

Zack agreed. There were definitely noticeable differences between Rene and Todd with both men being very special in their own ways.

“Now I’m not going to try and tell you how to be a Top. I think that’s born right in you and I’m sure you’re handling him and yourself beautifully or you two wouldn’t be as happy as you are. But long-term discipline relationships do take some extra efforts on the part of the Top and I’d like to share some of my experience with you. I hope it might help you avoid some of the mistakes I’ve made and believe me, I have made some,” Hayden remarked with a sigh.

Although knowing his father wasn’t infallible, at that point in time no glaring errors on the part of the older man sprang into Zack’s mind. “Probably, but I can’t think of any at the moment,” he commented with a small burst of laughter.

Hayden took on a very serious expression. “If there is only one thing you take away from this, I’d like it to be the following. Set up the boundaries early and be consistent with them. Not that I’m saying to be inflexible or unchangeable, but don’t allow every different circumstance to call into question the rules you’ve formed together. Keep the lines of communication always open, discuss what you both want and need, but in the end if you have agreed upon a relationship rule, you need to maintain it when circumstances arise that brings it into play. The time to change a rule is never after it’s been broken. You follow through with the punishment and after all is said and done if one or both of you feels it needs changing, then you discuss it with nothing hanging over either of you.”

Zack attentively nodded his agreement, grateful for the reassurance that his feelings on the subject were being supported by someone he admired not only as his father but also as a much more experienced Top.

“If you do otherwise, you’ll end up with a Brat who rules from the bottom and that is a circumstance that will make you both miserable. He won’t get the security he needs and craves, and you’ll end up frustrated and angry. I went through that with your Papa at the beginning. He had a way of manipulating me so that I didn’t even realize I was being manipulated. I won’t go into details, but I ended up feeling guilty for calling him on his behaviour. It got really bad about a year into our relationship. I’ve never told you this before, but your Papa left me.”

Hayden looked at his son carefully to see what kind of reaction his revelation received and wasn’t surprised by the look of shock in Zack’s eyes. “We were apart for almost two months before I pulled it together enough to see that I’d been failing him,” he added sadly.Zack blinked his astonishment. His parents ever having had such a falling out would never have crossed his mind. While not having a full picture of his fathers’ relationship during his younger days, Zack had always seen his Papa as his father’s other half. Zack had grown up in the absolute security that his parents were a strong, inseparable team. He had viewed his Dad as being the stalwart head of the family; decisive and unfaltering, and made of a much sterner substance than his husband. His Papa, on the other hand, brought excitement and a gentle beauty into their home; wholly complimenting his significant other. It was impossible for Zack to comprehend them ever being separated. He gave his head a shake and returned his attention to the continuing conversation.

Hayden paused to think through his next words. “From what I’ve picked up on and seen, Rene has come from a less than supportive family and he needs to know you’re strong and will take care of him even when he doesn’t exactly like what you choose. I’m sure you know the worst thing you can do is allow him to get away with keeping things from you, as secrets are relationship destroyers. That has been one of the most difficult things in my relationship with Papa. You might see him as a man who wears his heart on his sleeve; someone who lets you know just what he’s thinking and feeling, but when it comes to the serious stuff, he can be the most clamed-mouthed person on earth. To this day I have to drag things out of him. Oh I’ve gotten very good at picking up the small signs when he’s troubled, but that has taken years. So my advice is to make the keeping of those relationship-damaging secrets as one of the most serious offences you have. Maybe then, just maybe, you’ll do better in that area than I have.”

Zack grinned and shook his head, not at all taken aback that his father had zeroed in on the one area he and Rene had found necessary to revisit several times in the few months they had been together.

Hayden returned Zack’s smile. “Last thing I want to tell you is to love him and respect him. Ensure he never has cause to lose respect for you. With love and mutual respect, anything can be overcome.”

“Thank you, Dad,” Zack murmured, his face exhibiting the love and respect he had for the man facing him. “It is fortunate you are so ‘old-fashioned’ and I am truly grateful to you for sharing like this. I consider it rather special having this trait in common with you. Kind of a nice legacy, wouldn’t you say?”

“It’s a truly special way of life, son, and I am very proud and pleased that you have chosen to carry it on into your marriage. Very few people in the vanilla world would understand it or accept it. We are both fortunate men to have found such wonderful partners who are willing to live within the structure of a discipline relationship and give themselves over to our control. Never take for granted the gift your Brat gives you,” Hayden concluded.

He felt very satisfied with the results of this conversation. Talking about such personal, rather intimate matters was not easy. He realized thinking about it, that this was a far more challenging conversation than the one he’d had when a seven-year-old Zack had asked which one of his dads had carried him in his tummy, like his friend Tommy’s mom was currently doing with Tommy’s baby brother.

“I fully understand, Dad, and you are right; it is a very special gift our partners bless us with. It is a gift I will try my very best to always appreciate. I also want you to know how much I admire you for making this difficult discussion so comfortable for me. I hope some day to do as well if I am ever in a position to have a similar conversation with a son of my own.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Todd stood at the kitchen sink, piling in the dishes. Next, he squirted in the liquid soap and turned on the water, and then pulled on rubber gloves while he waited for the sink to fill.

“So, Rene, how is the new job at the daycare coming along? Are you enjoying it?” Todd enthusiastically set about engaging the younger man in conversation.

Rene grinned and talked while he began to dry the dishes Todd placed in the drainer. “Yeah, I’m really enjoying it. The kids are so cute and so much fun. I can’t believe how excited they get when they get to work on a new piece of art. They love colour and absorb new ideas like little sponges.”

He was putting the dried dishes away in the cupboards as he continued to tell Todd about his job. “Yesterday I showed them how to mix sand into paint to create texture in their art. Miss Stephanie, the daycare owner, was able to get me some heavy cardboard pieces that would support the weight of the sand-laden paint and the kids came up with some really great pieces to take home. Next week we’re going to start on some holiday art, doing Christmas Tree decorations. I’m working with the kindergarten age kids now, but Miss Stephanie is after me to start working longer hours so I can be there when the older kids come for the after school programs. I told her maybe in January after the wedding, cuz I don’t want to be working too many hours and then have to feel bad for taking extra time off for our wedding and stuff.”

Todd rinsed out the sink and wiped out the drain board. He had enjoyed listening to the young man animatedly share the various activities going on at the daycare. “You are bringing back memories of when Zack was that age. I spent one afternoon a week as a volunteer at his daycare and always looked forward to it.” A soft smile played across Todd’s face as he focused on days gone by. “Some of the antics those little ones would get up to,” he chuckled and shook his head. “You couldn’t take your eyes off them or they’d be into one thing or another, usually something they shouldn’t have been.”

Bringing his attention back to the present, Todd commented on the latter part of Rene’s discourse. “It seems that your decision to take this job was an excellent one, as is the decision not to take on anything more until after the holidays, Rene. With less than two months, very busy months at that until your wedding, you’ll need to make as much time as possible to carry out all that has to be done.”

While Rene set out four pieces of apple pie and wedges of cheddar cheese, Todd placed mugs, spoons, cream and sugar on a tray in preparation to taking coffee and dessert into the living room. “Are you planning to use that marvelous talent of yours to make your own wedding invitations, honey?” he inquisitively questioned.

Rene looked up from his preparations. “Gee, I hadn’t even thought of invitations yet. Though with a small wedding like we’re planning, I could do some hand-painted cards and get the text engraved at the printers. I’ll have to talk to Zack about it and see what he wants.”

He appreciatively inhaled the strong scent arising from the coffee pot. “Mmmm, the coffee smells great. I got the apple pie fresh from the bakery this afternoon. I hope it’s as good as Stewart’s lemon pie, cuz it was as good as my mom’s and that’s saying something as she makes great lemon pie,” he added wistfully, thinking back to a time when he wasn’tso uncomfortable with his own parents.

Todd easily picked-up on the slight note of sadness. Although he had long ago moved past the negative feelings his own family history could generate, he was still able to emphasize with the young man standing next to him.

“The pie is going to be perfect, Piglet. And I think we better join our partners,” he suggested, picking up the tray with the coffee on it. “We’ve left them on their own long enough and God only knows what mischief they’re hatching up.” He chuckled and winked at Rene before leading the way into the room where the two men he loved were quietly conversing.

Hayden glanced up with a smile when he saw his husband and soon-to-be son-in-law enter the living room carrying the trays. His smile grew broader when he saw the contents. “Apple pie with cheese; I’m in heaven, Rene. That is one of my favourite flavour combinations. My mother always said that apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze.”

He smiled appreciatively at the large slice that Rene handed to him. “Thank you, it looks wonderful. Zack and I should thank you both for doing all the clean up from dinner. Next time you two get to sit it out and we’ll scrub the pots. Right son?” he asked.

“It sounds only fair to me, Dad,” Zack easily concurred as he gratefully accepted a cup of coffee from Todd and a piece of pie from Rene. He sifted over and patted the sofa, inviting his partner to sit next to him.

Rene snuggled up against Zack with his coffee cup in hand. He nibbled a bit at the pie but really wasn’t that interested in the dessert. He just enjoyed the feeling of his lover next to him and the rich flavour of the coffee. Zack wrapped his arm around Rene’s back, making him feel loved and secure.

“Zack, we haven’t talked about invitations I know, but your Papa asked me if I was going to make them. I hadn’t thought of it before, but I could hand paint something on the front of the cards and have the printers engrave the text. Would that be okay with you? I mean we could work on the design together before I paint them,” he suggested hopefully.

Zack looked at his partner in surprise. “I never even thought about invitations, love. That’s a great idea.” He sipped at his coffee while thinking over what he might have to offer in order for them to carry out this suggestion together.

“You know, we only need a couple of dozen or so; maybe if you do the designing and printing, I can dust off my old calligraphy skill enough to write out the information inside. I haven’t done it since my teens but with a bit of practice, I just might be able to pull it off. If not, there is always the computer.” He tightened the arm he had wrapped around Rene and gave him a quick squeeze. “What do you think?”

Rene’s eyes lit up. “You can do calligraphy?” he asked, not waiting for an answer. “And you told me you had no artistic talent! Calligraphy is an art form and if you have that skill, I want very much for you to do the wording of the invitations. It will be so nice to have really personalized invitations from both of us. I know a web site where you can order beautiful hand made paper and envelopes. This is going to be great!”Rene was getting more and more excited about their wedding plans. Though small, he knew it would be a very special event. And it would be upon them in no time. New Year’s Eve this year would be the best day ever.

Zack laughed at his soon-to-be husband’s growing excitement. “Well, I don’t know how much ‘talent’ I have, sweetheart. One day long ago, I was looking for a hobby of sorts as I had never got the hang of video games and such; hands too slow, I think. Anyway, I was in my early teens when I saw a fellow student engrossed in doing a birthday card for her mother. I really liked what I was seeing and asked her to teach me how to do it. I found it relaxing and I would practice on just about any smooth surface.”

Leaning closer to Rene, he spoke in a low voice while smirking at his fathers. “I don’t think my dads always appreciated my efforts, especially if I was bored and without paper. As long as I could get my hand on a pen or pencil, there was always my arm or jeans to draw on.”

Hayden rolled his eyes as he thought back to his son’s artistic scribbling. “Arm, jeans, any paper that might be lying about; even a legal brief which I had to get reprinted when I found a very beautiful heart with Z.P. loves J.D. written on it.”

Hayden laughed when he saw a look of jealousy cross Rene’s young face. “Not to worry, Rene. J.D. didn’t stand a chance against you. And as I understand it, J.D. a.k.a. Johnny Depp is hopelessly straight.”

Rene began to laugh uproariously which gained him a growl from Zack.

“On that happy note, boys, I think it is time for Papa and I to call it a night. It’s been a wonderful evening and we’re both looking forward to the upcoming wedding plans.”

After saying goodbye to his parents and closing the door, Zack turned on his young lover. He began pushing Rene towards the bedroom and their en suite, deftly removing the younger man’s clothing while tickling him and nibbling at his shoulders. He laughed when Rene squealed and wiggled in an attempt to get away from him.

“You’re mine,” Zack growled, landing a light swat on his bare Brat’s backside. “Get the shower on while I’m getting undressed, Rembrandt.”

Rene loved it when Zack was so forceful and strong. He was hard and aching with need before he reached the shower. As he turned on the steaming water, Rene mused that nothing could be better than belonging to this wonderful man and hearing those possessive words.

He had just climbed under the spray when he felt Zack slip in behind him and engulf him with his strong arms.

Zack nuzzled his partner’s neck before sucking the faded spot on Rene’s shoulder. Stepping back, he smiled at his handy work, pleased at having once again put his mark on the man he considered his own. He lovingly slid his hands up and down Rene’s wet body, exciting both of them in the process.

Turning his lover around, Zack lifted the slightly smaller man to enable him to wrap his legs around Zack’s waist and lean back against the shower wall. He gazed for a moment into beautiful blue eyes before leaning closer; his mouth hungry and impatient as it melded with Rene’s. By the time he lifted his head, their breathing was ragged and their bodies ached for release.

Next, Zack skillfully prepared his partner and when he felt Rene was ready, he slowly but steadily entered his lover’s warmth while his hands firmly clasped Rene’s bottom. A cry of pleasure tore from Rene’s lips and Zack growled in response as he buried himself within his young love. Moving in sync, their union met with heat and friction as they approached the heights they craved.

As Zack’s mouth again sought and found Rene’s, he arched deeply into his lover moments before they spasmodically climaxed together. For a several minutes, Zack continued to hold Rene up; still joined and enjoying a sense of oneness.

Rene could barely catch his breath and wondered at how Zack continued to hold him so long after he’d climaxed. His own knees were so rubbery he doubted he could hold his own weight to say nothing of supporting his lover’s.

“I love you so much,” he whispered into Zack’s ear as his feet were slowly lowered to the shower floor. He sagged against the larger, stronger body as he tried to regain his balance. “I never knew anyone could make me feel as good as you do. I can’t wait until New Year’s Eve when I’ll belong to you legally and forever.”

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment