The Vagabond and The Apothecary

Co-written by Mel and LJ

Zack stood at the back door and watched the last members of his staff drive away. They had willingly stayed late to help him get the inventory counted and the monthly order put away. He would make sure to show his appreciation by slipping a little something extra into their pay envelopes next week.

He was about to lock up and call it a day when he spotted a lone vehicle parked in the far corner of the parking lot. This area was not open to the public as it was only for the use of owners and employees of the many small businesses in the downtown shopping district.

Concerned there may be a problem, he sauntered over to the car and rapped on the driver’s window. Then he opened the door, allowing the small interior light to go on. Zack found himself speechless as he gazed into the most beautiful blue eyes he had ever seen. They were staring out at him through a fringe of thick black hair.

Rene looked up, rather startled to have someone just open his car door. “Umm...can I help you?” he asked.

“Is there a problem, young man?” Zack politely inquired, gazing into a tired, pinched face. “I do not think it is a good idea if you are contemplating staying here all night.”

“Is this your parking lot, Mister? Cuz I been here since yesterday. My car is broken down but if you could give me ‘til tomorrow, I promise to get it outta here,” Rene replied, feeling a bit panicked that he might have to push the car down the road this evening to search for another place to park it. If only he could make enough money to get it fixed, he could get out of this back-water town

“No, it’s not my parking lot,” Zack replied with a smile, not wanting to cause the man unnecessary distress. “I just thought you might be able to use some assistance.”

“I’m okay, thanks. I guess I should lock the doors through the night, huh?” he said while yawing.

“Sounds like a good idea,” Zack agreed. He frowned at finding himself unable to just walk away and leave the young man to spend the night along like this. Although it was early spring, temperatures still dropped quite a bit during the night and it could get rather cold. “Ah, look here....I’m heading up to my flat for a quick meal. Would you care to join me?” he offered.

Rene had learned early in his life of living on the road not to give much trust to a stranger. “Thanks no, Mister. I’m uh... fine. I had the fried egg sandwich down at the diner this afternoon.”

“Well, if you’re sure then I’ll leave you to it,” Zack responded and turned away. He firmly pushed down the seeds of doubt that all was fine, realizing there was nothing more he could do.

Rene felt partially relieved and yet a bit disappointed that the handsome man left. His mind wandered momentarily to how lonely he’d been but he immediately put those thoughts from his head. ‘Just don’t go there,’ he told himself as he pulled the worn, old comforter over himself and tried to settle down to sleep a bit.

***************

Rene spent the next two days going around to the local business offering to sell paintings or do some advertising art work. He’d made a few dollars selling a drawing of the Diner to the owner but it still wasn’t enough to pay for the parts he needed to get his car fixed.

He thought perhaps if he did a nice painting of the garage owner in his shop, he could trade it for the work needed. Paintings of people at work and play were his specialty. His fine arts teachers had told him he was something of a genius at them. It would take a few days to make a good enough painting to be worthy of the money the car would cost and then he’d have to pray the mechanic would see the value in it. “God, this sucks,’ he thought. All he really wanted was to work on his art and have a decent place to live and more than one meal a day. Was that too much to ask?

Zack stood looking out his sitting room window. He shook his head at the now familiar sight of the broken down car and its’ owner. The dilapidated vehicle had been sitting in the same place now for the past three nights. “All right!” he muttered. “Enough is enough!”

With his mind firmly made up not to take ‘No’ for an answer, Zack headed down to the lot and over to the car. He rapped on the window and waited for the young man to open the door.

Rene was startle by the knock but couldn’t help smiling when he saw the man from the other night. “Hi again,” he said as he opened the car door.

“Hello there. Still no luck getting the car fixed, I see,” Zack greeted. “Now that you appear to have taken up residency, I am doing the neighbourly thing and once again inviting you to dinner. This time, however, I will not accept a refusal.”

Rene hesitated for a second but his stomach took that moment to rumble rather loudly. He laughed, a little embarrassed by the sound. “Well since you insist and my stomach seems to agree, then okay…thanks. I appreciate the invite,” he replied.

Zack smiled at the rumbling...just what he needed, a co-conspirator. He was surprised at the amount of pleasure he felt when his offer was accepted. “Then step right this way. And by the way, my name is Zackary Pierce. But please call me Zack.”

Rene climbed from the car, taking the time to lock all the doors. He looked down at his rather worn, wrinkled clothing. Well, at least he’d been to the laundry-mat that morning and his shirt was clean. “I’m Rene Wilson.”

“Please to meet you, Rene,” Zack responded warmly and extended his hand, his dark brown eyes lighting up.

Rene took the offered hand and returned the firm grip. “Nice to meet you too. You live in that apartment above the pharmacy, huh?” He already knew the answer as he’d seen the handsome man looking out his window the last few days.

“Yes, I do; good and close to the job, saves a lot of travel time,” Zack laughed. He felt good and was looking forward to getting to know the town’s newest arrival. He too had been a stranger not long ago and been kindly received by one and all. Now it was his turn to make someone else feel welcomed.

“Do you work at the pharmacy?”

“Yes, I own it. I was very fortunate in acquiring it. My own business was something I wanted all through university and once I had seen the wonders of this valley, I knew where I wanted to spend the rest of my life.”

“You’re the owner? I was in there today and spoke to the girl at the counter. She said the owner was at lunch and I should come back if I wanted to see him. I didn’t know that was you. I was gonna come back later but I got held up at the Diner,” Rene rambled. “You like it here in this town, huh?”

“Wouldn’t want to be anywhere else,” Zach assured the young man as he lead the way upstairs and into his apartment. “Welcome to my humble abode.” He stopped and turned to face his guest. “Was there any particular reason for you seeking me out earlier?”

Rene looked around the apartment; it had a homey, comfortable appearance. “This is a nice place you’ve got here, Zack. I…umm... I’ve been going to the local businesses to see if they need any advertising drawings or sketches. I’m an artist.”

“Thank you! An artist, eh? That’s wonderful.” Totally lacking in artistic talent himself, Zack was duly impressed. He also admired the young man’s willingness to search for work in a field that was not always the easiest in which to find employment. “You know, I’ve been thinking of making a few decorative changes. Maybe you can suggest something.”

“Changes in your home here or your store?”

“The store.....there is something missing, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. I was thinking of a mural depicting a somewhat historical view of what an old pharmacy would look like, and I wanted people in it...ordinary everyday characters that make up a community.”

“Wow, a mural! That would be nice. You got that whole stretch of wall above the dispensary. That would make a great place for a mural. I could do some sketches for you.” Rene was getting excited about the possibility.

Getting caught up in the young man’s excitement, Zack almost forgot the reason for him being there. “Well, it is something we can discuss over our meal. How does warmed up chilli and a salad sound? I also have some fresh rolls from the bakery.”

“Sounds real good to me.” Rene liked the thought of a hearty hot meal and the possible work seemed too good to be true.

“Then pull up a chair and make yourself at home,” Zack invited. He quickly set the table while the chilli simmered on the stove.

“Can I help you with anything? It sure smells good. Is it homemade chilli?”

“Yes, it’s my own special recipe. One of my Dads taught it to me.” Zack bustled around the kitchen as he talked. Finally, everything was in place and he sat down, indicting his guest was to do likewise.

Rene tucked into the food. It had been a long while since he’d had a homemade meal.

Zack grinned. He was enjoying the gusto with which the hungry young man attacked his dinner.

************

The following morning Rene entered the pharmacy with his sketch pad in hand. He’d worked by flashlight during the night to make up some drawings he thought might appeal to Zack. He was especially pleased with one that showed this same store but with shelving and products depicting an old time apothecary shop. The druggist behind the tall counter bore Zack’s face, with hair slicked and parted and a white lab coat over an old fashioned shirt and tie as would befit the era. He had captured the faces of a few of the folks he’d seen around town these last days and put them into appropriate clothing and had them in the shop as customers. He was hoping Zack would be willing to commission such a mural as it would give him work for the next couple of weeks and enough money to repair his car and move on.

He saw Zack at the counter serving a customer so he stood off to the side to await his turn for the older man’s attention. He’d had such a good time last evening sitting in the warm comfortable apartment talking to Zack. It was all he could do to excuse himself after dinner and make his way back to his car.

Zack filled his customer’s needs and turned to find himself immediately drawn to a pair of blue eyes he was quickly beginning to associate with the reoccurring tugs at his heart strings. He had lain awake for some time last night thinking of the evening they had just spent together. Mentally giving his head a shake, he smiled and walked over to greet Rene.

“Good morning, Rene. You’re out and about early today.” Noticing the papers in the young man’s hands, he teasingly commented. “I’m hazarding a guess here; seems like you’ve been busy.”

Rene spoke very quickly feeling nervous about what Zack would think. “I just thought I’d put together a couple of sketches for that mural we were discussing. If you don’t like any of them, just say so. I can do more or make changes as you want.”

“All right; let’s go to my office where we can go over these in private.” Zach turned to lead the way while calling out to a member of his staff. “I'll be back here if you need me, Nancy!” He closed the door quietly behind them and reached for the drawings in Rene’s hand. “Let me see what you’ve got there.”

Spreading the pictures over the desk, Zack studied them appreciatively. “Hmm, these are very good; very good indeed.” He smiled up the young artist.

Rene was normally very sure of himself when it came to his art but for some reason, he felt very anxious about these sketches. He wanted this man to like them, so Zack’s words made him feel as if he’d been handed a medal of achievement. “Thanks, I’m glad you like them. Which one appeals to you the most?”

“Now that’s a hard one; they are all so well done. I think I’m going to have to go with this one,” Zack chuckled as he pointed to the one with his likeness in it. “Although, I have to admit I’m glad we no longer wear our hair like that.”

Rene smiled. He was so pleased that Zack had chosen that sketch. “I don’t know. I think it makes you look kinda good, in a very authoritative way. A professional man of that era commanded respect.” He said it in a manner that was somewhat teasing and yet inside that’s how he was feeling about this man who had suddenly stepped into his life.

Zack found himself once again mesmerized by the other man’s dazzling smile and sparkling blue eyes. He momentarily lost track of what they were talking about. He cleared his throat and a brief discussion concerning fees and payment took place before Zack got to the heart of the matter. “So when can you start?”

“Well I’ll need to get a couple of ladders and boards to make a sort of scaffolding and we’ll have to move a few of your shelves in the dispensary. I can begin as soon as you’re willing to let me at it,” Rene replied excitedly.

“Don’t worry about ladders and such; we can rent proper scaffolding. I insist, as it will be a lot safer both for you and anyone who happens to come around while work is in progress.” There was no way Zach was going to let Rene put himself in danger but having him climbing up on some rickety thing he’d put together.

Rene was both pleased and a bit taken back by Zack’s concern for him. “Well okay, that’s great.” He hesitated, feeling badly about asking but knew he had no choice. “I need to get the supplies I outlined in the cost. I just don’t have enough money to buy them. Would you be willing to give me an advance?”

“I can do one better. Just get whatever you need and charge it to my accounts. It’s Friday and that will give me plenty of time to put up a notice that we’ll be partially closed for renovations starting Monday, if that works for you. It will also give you the rest of today and tomorrow to get your supplies gathered up. While you’re busy doing that, my staff and I will start rearranging things in here.”

“Thank you; that will be great. I’ll head down to the paint store now and get some of the things. Can I leave them in your back room? There isn’t much space for both me and all that stuff in my car.”

“Certainly, there is more than enough room.” Concerned about where the young man was living, Zack made a straight-forward suggestion. “Look, would you consider it out of line for me to offer you a place to stay. I have an extra bedroom upstairs; no strings attached. You could think of it as an incentive bonus.”

Rene couldn’t believe what Zack had just said. He’d offered someone he’d only just met, a place in his home while he worked. This guy was almost too good to be true. For a moment his wary nature argued that you don’t just move in with a stranger, but something about Zack just spoke of safety. So shoving aside all negative thoughts, he answered. “Thanks, that’s really nice of you, sir. I promise not to get in your way and I’ll be outta your hair as soon as the mural is done.”

“Hey, remember what I told you about small town folks helping and looking out for one another. Plenty of people helped me when I arrived here and now it’s my turn to help someone else. You just happened to luck out.” Zack wanted to set the young man’s mind at ease. While it was true he’d think twice about offering a perfect stranger a place to bed down, he somehow felt he could trust this particular stranger.

“Well I’ve got my own sleeping bag and pillow and towels, so I won’t be dirtying up your things. But I surely would like to use your shower, if you don’t mind. I’ve been washing up in the men’s room at the diner. Last shower I had was on public swim night at the high school and their showers run pretty cold.”

Zack nodded. “Just go upstairs and make yourself at home. I rarely lock my door so you’re free to walk right in. Oh, and by the way, Rene, it is unlikely that you’ll be in my way.”

“Thanks, sir. You won’t regret it. I’ll make sure to leave things just as tidy as I found them.”

Zack smiled as he watched the young man leave. Then he went back to his own work and set about informing the staff of the upcoming changes to their place of employment and the new temporary scheduling.

***************

Four nights later, Zack was awakened by a noise coming from below his bedroom. Getting up, he first checked out Rene’s room and found the bed was empty. Another bit of shuffling attracted his attention and he purposefully made his way downstairs.

Zack stood off to one side and watched the young artist at work. His eyes narrowed dangerously as he took into account that it was three o’clock in the morning and they both needed their sleep. Slowly but surely, he made his presence known to Rene. He did not want to startle the man and possibly cause him to fall off the scaffolding.

Looking up into the anxious blue eyes above him, Zack demanded through clenched teeth, “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Rene looked down at the less than happy face of his benefactor. “Doing?” he asked. “I’m painting. I thought it would be good to get some work done after hours like this so you could re-open sooner. I know it’s a pain having me in the way. I hope I didn’t wake you up?”

“It is only your second day on the job, Rene. There really isn’t any need to rush. Things may be a little inconvenient but I see it rather like a challenge.” Zack smiled and answered the question honestly. “Actually, yes, you did wake me up. Now please get down from there so we both can get our sleep.”

Zack wasn’t about to admit he wanted the painting done during the day for a reason; it being how much he enjoyed watching the young man work.

“I’m really sorry I woke you. I’ll be quieter now. I’m sure it was just me moving the supplies that woke you,” he replied while picking up his palette again, thinking that was all the explanation needed for him to continue working.

“Rene!” Zack growled. “I apparently haven’t gotten my message across. I do not want you working during the night.” Realizing he was grasping for straws, he still settled for stretching the truth some. “My insurance may not cover you if you get hurt during off-hours.”

Startled by the firmness of Zack’s voice, Rene gulped audibly. He didn’t want to anger this man who had been so kind to him. “I’m sorry, sir. I’ll stop now as you say.” He began to gather his supplies but in his nervousness, he knocked a small can of paint off the scaffolding, sending a spray of colour over the covered shelves and floor below him. “Shit! Fuck! Damn!” he swore.

Although surprised by the language, Zack chose to ignore it. He realized the young man was jumpy for some reason and besides, it wasn’t his place to correct him. “It’s okay...it was an accident...these things happen,” he calmly responded. “There’s nothing to get worked up over. We’ll just do a quick clean-up and get the rest in the morning.”

“I’m sorry, sir,” Rene said, knowing that he was repeating himself but not sure what else to say. He climbed carefully down from platform and began the clean up. “I’ll take care of the mess; it was my fault. You can go back to your bed. I’ll be up soon as it’s tidy.”

“No, we’ll do it together....it will be faster that way.” Zack briefly wondered if it was he making the other man jumpy. “Rene, what’s wrong? Does my presence unnerve you?” he softly inquired as he began wiping up the floor.

“Oh no, sir; it’s not that. I’m just so sorry to have disturbed you like this. You’ve been so nice to give me this job and let me stay in your apartment while I work, and here I am waking you in the night and making a mess. You must think I’m a royal pain."

“I can assure you, I think no such thing.” Zack sighed and relented. “Okay, I’ll confess I like having you around. You are a very talented and interesting man, and I am happy you’ve consented to do this mural for me.” He smiled and teasingly ordered. “So no more of this ‘royal pain’ crap; and while we’re at it, I am not ‘sir’. I answer to Zack. Now, Michael Angelo, let’s get this taken care of so we can get some sleep before the night is over.”

Rene smiled. How he’d been so lucky to land this great job working for such a nice guy, he didn’t know. But he would enjoy it for as long as he could. “Thank you, sir....I mean, Zack." He watched the older man bend over to retrieve the fallen paint can, the back of his sleep pants sliding provocatively over his butt. Rene felt his own pants growing tight and quickly admonished himself. ‘Forget about it, boy. This guy is outta bounds. He’s your boss. Besides, I’m sure he’s straight, with the way he’s always smiling and talking up the lady customers.’

With the two of them working at it, the clean-up didn’t take long and soon both men were heading back to bed.

**********************

The next few weeks seemed to fly by. Rene finished the mural at the pharmacy and Zack was beyond pleased with the young man’s work. So pleased in fact, he gave Rene a bonus of sorts. Not a monetary one, but still one of great value.

It was on Zack’s personal recommendation that Rene obtain several other commissions to do murals. By the end of the first month, not only the pharmacy but the library also had beautiful artwork enhancing their décor. The library was housed in the old railway station and the mural on the outside of the building depicted the railway workers of times gone by.

Although Rene’s car had long been repaired, he was still in town and still living in Zack’s apartment. It was a fairly large place as apartments go and both men were more than comfortable with the arrangement. Especially after Zack persuaded Rene to stop his nocturnal working hours; he only hoped that habit wouldn’t reoccur.

It was while Rene was doing a mural inside the bank, another one consisting of images from the past, that Zack dropped by one afternoon and was admiring the work when he once again recognized a face on the wall. It was the same one that stared back at him when he looked in the mirror to shave each morning. He was more than a little surprised and checked to see who else in town now had their faces portrayed there. No other face looked even vaguely familiar and a thought occurred to him; was it at all possible that Rene was attracted to him.

Although gay himself, the pharmacist was unsure about Rene’s orientation. Then a few days later, Zack saw Rene set off to work in a shirt he hadn’t seen him wear before. It was a shirt bearing a bright rainbow with the word ‘Pride’ below it. The older man’s heart skipped a beat and he decided then and there he would talk to his roommate that very night.

Zack had left work early and was presently preparing their evening meal. He had planned a special one and hoped Rene would enjoy it. He lightly sautéed the shrimp while checking the tenderness of the fettuccini; both were just about done to perfection as was the Alfredo sauce. He would have preferred to have fresh seafood, but that was not always available here in their small mountain community. A Caesar salad sat in the fridge and a bottle of white wine was chilling. The table was dressed in its’ finest linen and candles waited to be lit.

The door down the hall opened and closed, heralding Rene’s arrival. Zack smiled contentedly; pleased the man had stayed true to his promise to be home at the appointed time. The young artist had a habit of losing track of time, making his comings and goings rather unpredictable.

It was only under threat of dire consequences, however empty, that Zack had been able to pin Rene down and wheedle out the solemn pledge. The older man chuckled at the memory of that bit of bantering.

“Hey, Zack, I’m home,” Rene called as he came through the door. “And you don’t have to chase me down, I’m actually on time!”

He walked in the kitchen in his work clothes splattered with paint. “Mmm, something sure smells good.” Then taking in the table setting with candles, he asked, “Wow, looks nice. What’s the occasion?”

“Hey, yourself,” Zack greeted. “The occasion? I think I’ll let you decide that as the evening progresses. How does that sound?”

Rene was puzzled by Zack’s cryptic reply. “Okay, I guess. I think I’ll get changed. Do I have time to grab a shower before dinner?”

“Yes, if you make it fast. This will only take another few minutes.”

“Okay; I’ll be right back.” Rene headed for the shower and quickly washed away the day’s worth of sweat. He ran his hand over his face and decided he didn’t need a shave, his beard was slow growing enough not to leave him with a heavy five o’clock shadow. For some reason he felt the need to dress up a bit this evening, so he put on his one pair of good pants along with a soft blue sweater. Feeling refreshed, he was back in the kitchen less than ten minutes later.

“Perfect timing.” Zack smiled at the young man’s change in appearance; blue really suited him. He finished setting the food on the table, indicating Rene was to take a seat while he poured the wine. “So how was your day?” he asked as they hungrily helped themselves.

“It was good. I’m almost finished the bank mural and Mr. Hudson seems real pleased with it so far. I figure another couple of days and the job will be done.” Rene plastered a smile on his face as he said this but in reality he was feeling torn up inside. This was the end of his commissions here in Jade Heights. He had no reason to stay longer. His car was repaired and he had money enough to move on. In the past, moving on seemed so exciting but suddenly the vagabond life had lost its’ appeal.

Zack sat quietly, taking in not only the words but the body language. “You know, Rene, you’re welcome to stay as long as you want. You can have a permanent home if you’d like. I’ve received a great many, very favourable comments on the mural in the pharmacy and have heard a lot of complimentary remarks about your other work about town. Bet you’d find more than enough jobs to keep you busy; provided you wanted to stay here, that is.”

“Thanks, Zack, you’ve been really kind to me. Your recommendation got me the library and bank commissions and I’d like to stay if more came up. This is a nice community. I don’t know about permanent though; it’s not easy for an artist to find work. I’d really love to have a studio and know that I could make regular commissions somewhere though. Guess I’m getting tired of moving around all the time.”

Putting his elbows on the table and resting his chin on interlaced fingers, Zack gazed at the handsome young man sitting across from him. “Yes, the life of a nomad probably pales after a while.” He smiled and nodded. “And I’m sure work can sometimes be scarce, but a studio may be a good goal to work towards.” He put his arms down, took another mouthful of pasta and chewed thoughtfully. “Rene, have you ever given any thought to applying for a job on the newspaper; possible as an art critic or even doing caricatures on a regular basis?”

“You mean as a commercial artist?” Rene asked.

“Yes, I guess that would be it. You may also consider doing portraits; in your own unique style, of course.”

Rene noticed the way the older man was looking at him and wondered where he was going with all of this. He thought about what Zack was suggesting though and found it interesting. “Commercial work would mean a regular income, but I would certainly much rather put more time into private commissions such as portraits or murals. Though I guess I wouldn’t be averse to working part-time in a commercial job if it meant some steady money.”

“Truth be told, Rene, I have a rather selfish reason for my attempts to persuade you to stay. I take it you’re gay, right? Well so am I!” Zack paused, waiting for his companion to absorb his last statement.

Rene’s eyebrows shot up at this unexpected statement. He’d been so sure Zack was straight. “You're gay? Wow, I guess my gay-dar is way off.” He laughed nervously.

“I am very much attracted to you, Rene; have been since the moment I saw you. Your gorgeous blue eyes captured something in me and I have steadily been drawn to the rest of you.” Deciding to take a chance and bare his soul in hopes of a future with this young man, Zack murmured his confession. “I’ve fallen in love with you.” Once again he waited for the other man’s response, this time with bated breath.

Rene could not believe what he was hearing. He’d deeply buried any attraction he felt for Zack but now… “I’ve never known anyone like you, Zack. You’re the kindest most generous person in the world. You took a vagabond artist into your home, gave me work and shelter. Now...now you’re offering me love?” He hesitated, searching for words. “I think I might love you too, Zack, but I’m not really sure I can love again. I’ve only ever really been in love once before. Sex, I’ve had some, but long-term love doesn't seem to be in the cards for me. Can you give me time to re-learn? Maybe you can teach me?” His voice was quivering as he spoke.

Zack released out a long-drawn out sigh of relief. He was getting a chance; actually they were getting a chance. “Why do I get the feeling you are going to make an excellent student, Rene?” Zack asked softly while grinning from ear to ear. “I think I know the perfect way to start.” He got up, moved around the table and held out his hand. “Come with me, babe.”

Rene took the offered hand and stood to follow this man who was making his world spin. “School starts now, eh?” he asked with a grin.

“It is said that time waits for no man. I think we’ve wasted enough as it is,” Zack chuckled as he led the way down a short hall.

“Well I do hate to be wasteful.” Rene laughed as he followed his soon-to-be lover into the bedroom.

***********************

Rene woke up the next morning still finding it unbelievable he was lying in bed with Zack. The older man’s arm was wrapped firmly around him. He almost felt trapped but in a good way; as though Zack meant to keep him with him for always. He squirmed around slightly as his bladder was making itself felt. “Zack...Zack,” he whispered. “I gotta go.”

Zack lay watching his young lover slowly wake up. He kept his arm where it was over Rene’s warm body, enjoying the thought of having him here in his bed every morning. He loosened his hold as soon as he heard Rene’s whispered plea. “Good morning and up you get, then.” He rolled over and got out on his side while the other man hurried into the en suite.

Quickly finishing with the toilet and washing his hands, Rene could think of nothing but crawling back into bed with his lover. That idea was thwarted when Zack entered the washroom after him. “Morning,” he said while tilting his head up for a hoped-for kiss.

Zack happily supplied the sought-after kiss and had his own body not reminded him of other needs, may have gone further. Remembering it was another workday, he sighed before suggesting, “Let’s get dressed and have breakfast, babe. Just remember where we left off so we can pick it up again tonight.” He winked when the younger man groaned.

Rene was sore, very pleasantly sore, but still he could go for more of Zack’s vigorous love making even if it kept him from sitting down ever again. He got the distinct impression that the other man topped exclusively, which was all right with Rene. Having a lover like Zack; well, it was a dream come true.

Zack hummed softly to himself the entire time it took him to shower and shave. Yes. Life was good; in fact, it was great. Rene was the one he’d been hoping would come along for years now. He fully expected the day to drag until they could be together again, but at least they still had some time to talk before parting company.

Rene returned to the second bathroom which he had been using, as all his supplies were still in it. He hurried through his shower and shave in hopes of getting to the kitchen before Zack. He wanted to surprise his new lover with breakfast. He had the eggs scrambled and the bread in the toaster as the older man entered the kitchen.

After getting dressed, Zack headed for the kitchen where Rene had their morning meal well underway. He showed his appreciation by grabbing the younger man around the waist and soundly kissing his lips. “Hmmm, the food smells good but you smell so much better,” he grinned leeringly. Another quick kiss and he begrudgingly released his captive. “Coffee?” he offered.

“You smell pretty good yourself,” Rene replied. “And yes, please to the coffee. I can’t move without my caffeine fix.”

“Likewise,” Zack agreed. It didn’t take long with the two of them working together, to get their breakfast on the table.

Sitting down and tucking into the meal in front of him, Zack ate quietly for several minutes before washing down the last mouthful with his coffee. “There are a couple of issues I have to bring up, Rene. I think it only fair that I be up-front right from the start.” He sat back, coffee mug in hand and gazed at his new lover.

Looking at the man sitting across from him, Rene suddenly felt a bit nervous. “What sort of issues?” he asked.

Not too sure of the best way to approach this, Zack, out of old habit, opted for the most direct one. “We are going to be making a home together, right? I am going to insist on being the head of our household. Although we are equal partners, when a final decision involving the two of us or our relationship has to be made, I will be the one to make it. Do you think you will have a problem with that?”

“I think that will be okay. I mean you will include me in the decisions, right?” Something about this man’s way of handling himself made Rene feel secure and comfortable. Even though this whole idea was new, he believed he could trust Zack to do what was best.

“You will always be included, Rene, I will promise you that,” Zack assured him, wanting the young man to know how important his opinion was. “I think it may be a good idea for each of us to prepare a list of our expectations of one another. For instance, do you have certainly things you’d like some help with or is there anything you feel could cause friction between us?”

Rene thought about what Zack was asking. “Well, I know you don’t like it when I’m late all the time so I’ll have to work at that. I don’t really have a lot of expectations I guess since I don’t know much about relationships. I only know that I don’t like it when couples yell and scream at each other. My parents used to do that a lot and it’s a horrible way to work out differences.”

“I can understand and agree with that; it is a very unproductive way to handle differences of opinion. As partners, we will avoid that at all costs by making it a point to sit down and discuss things in a respectable manner. I also believe that in a relationship like the one we hope to have, it is important to have guidelines in place regarding behaviour. Could you agree to something like that?”

“What do you mean by guidelines? You mean like rules on how we behave towards each other?”

Zack smiled, very much liking Rene’s equally direct approach. “Yes, ‘rules’ is another way of putting it. And of course, the breaking of said rules has consequences, right?”

“Yeah, that’s usually the way with rules. And since you’re the head of the house, you would in charge of the rules and consequences, wouldn’t you?” Rene inquired. Part of him felt nervous about all of this but another part felt good, believing that this was a better way to be than his parents had been.

“Yes, Sweetheart,” Zack answered softly. “That is how it works in the type of relationship I am referring to. It is called a discipline partnership. We both have our respective roles and equal responsibilities to see that it runs smoothly. And it does work, love. Trust me in this.” He reached across the table and took Rene’s hand in his, rubbing gentle circles on the back with his thumb to make and maintain physical contact.

Rene was comforted by Zack’s gentle touch and way of speaking but he needed to fully understand what Zack was meaning. “What exactly do you mean by discipline?”

“Discipline can consist of a number of things; like grounding, writing assignments or lines, time-outs, extra chores, and for the most serious offenses, spanking.” Recognizing and understanding the other man’s hesitancy, Zack offered assurances. “Look, I have no intensions of coercing you into doing something against your will, Rene. We can still be partners and build a life together. I am hoping for way to make that endeavour easier for both of us.”

“I guess I’m a bit crazy here but I trust you, Zack, and if you think this is the right thing for us, then I’m willing to try it. I don’t much care for the idea of being spanked but then I guess it wouldn’t be much of a deterrent if I did like it. I want a life with you more than I’ve wanted anything before, even my art. So yes, I agree to what you’re proposing.”

No one appreciated more, how hard a decision that had been for Rene to make than did Zack. Smiling lovingly at his new partner, he leaned forward and asked with a glint of amusement in his eye. “Would you like to know why I have such a positive outlook on this lifestyle being successful, love?”

“Yeah, I would like to know that.” Rene couldn’t help but return the smile.

“I have never met my biological mother. I grew up with the lifestyle, having two fathers. Dad, my biological father, was the head of our home and what is referred to in some circles as a Top.” Zack winked at Rene. “You know what they say; like father, like son.”

Rene laughed. “So you’re something of an expert on all this? I can’t wait to meet your Dads. I’ll bet they’re great guys.”

Zack too burst out laughing. He got up and tugged Rene to his feet. “They are and you’ll meet them soon enough. In the meantime, we better get to work before our bosses fire us,” he strongly suggested.

“Well it looks as if I’ve taken on a new boss on the home front. But you’re right, we have work to do. Though I can’t wait until tonight when you can show me more of your bossy ways.” He waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

The two men kissed and then headed off to their respective days, content in the knowledge that they had begun something very special that morning.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment