A Change In The Wind

Co-written by: Mel and LJ


Hayden signed the last document and handed the stack of papers to the now senior partner of Pierce, Beckman, Stein, and Latham, Barristers and Solicitors. “That’s it, John; she’s all yours.” he said, giving a smile to his business partner. “After thirty years I’m more than happy to turn the helm over to you. I intend to enjoy some well-earned peace and quiet.”

John Latham grinned as he took possession of the documents. “You deserve it, Hayden. I just hope you and Todd don’t get bored. Retirement is a major change for two men used to living such busy lives.”

“We want to enjoy our lives while we’re still young enough and healthy enough to do so. When Todd was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure, it made me realize that there are more important things in life than working. Besides,” he said with a grin. “With the money from the sale of his dental practice and my share in the firm, along with some sound investments, there is more than enough to keep us living comfortably for the rest of our days. Now we just have to decide where we’re going to be doing that comfortable living, because I want to take Todd somewhere he won’t be subjected to the stresses of city life.”

Hayden said his final good-byes to all the staff at the office, thanking them again for the wonderful retirement bash they’d thrown for him the previous evening. He climbed into the conservative black BMW and headed home to his not so conservative and highly tumultuous husband.

Todd hadn’t exactly taken Hayden’s decree that they retire with good grace. It had been a battle of wills the last few weeks but it was done now. The dental practice was sold to the junior partners, much to Todd’s tearful dismay, and as of today they were both retired men.

Hayden sighed as he thought back through his husband’s emotional display. ‘That is what you get when you’re married to a Queen,’ he reminded himself. Not that he would or could have ever chosen to be with anyone else. Todd, bless his flamboyant little heart, was the love of Hayden’s life and Hayden was bull determined to keep his husband alive and healthy for a long time yet. And if that meant retirement to some quiet place then so-be-it, they would retire and enjoy the good life.

He pulled into the driveway of the large North Vancouver home they’d built thirty years ago and noticed the ‘For Sale’ sign that had been on the front lawn this morning was missing and the large wooden post that held it up was knocked to the ground. He climbed from the car and walking up the front path, he noticed the sign was thrown behind the dogwood bush. Within a few minutes, he managed to get the post and sign resurrected even if it was at something of an angle. By the time he walked in the front door, his five-hundred dollar shoes were covered in mud and his mood was less than jovial.

Todd stood at the window behind the curtain and just out of sight. His arms were crossed and a tight scowl graced his usually handsome face as he glared at the man responsible for this recent upheaval in his life. He was totally unrepentant at his husband once again having to put right what Todd had put amiss.

“Humph,” he snorted. “His shoes and pants are getting ruined. Now there’s poetic justice.” He made a beeline for the kitchen just as the front door opened.

“Todd William Pierce, where are you!” Hayden bellowed.

Looking around for a place to hide, Todd cringed when he heard his full name echoing off the walls of the house and quickly crouched down behind the island seconds before the kitchen door swung open.

Hayden heard movement coming from the kitchen but saw no sign of Todd when he walked through the swinging door. “Todd!” he called again. “I’m not in the mood to play games. I want to see you right this minute.”

Todd took a moment to think it over. Deciding not to add to what he already had to answer for, he stood up. “I’m right here, darling. How was your day?”

Hayden drew in a deep breath to calm himself. “My day? My day was fine, thank you. Right up until I got home to find the realtor’s sign hidden behind the dogwood bush and the post knocked over. My shoes are now covered in mud as are the pant legs of my good Armani suit. You wouldn’t happen to know how the sign got behind the bush, would you?” he asked with a glaring look to his husband.

“I most certainly do. It was a protest movement on my part. I don’t want to sell and that’s all there is to it.” With hands on hips, Todd returned his husband’s glare.

Hayden grimaced. “Well, my darling, I’m going to give you something to really protest.” He walked over to where Todd stood and before his husband could move, bent him over the counter and applied a series of very hard swats to the seat of the designer jean-covered bottom. “You will not touch that sign again! We are going to sell this house and we are going to move to an environment where I can keep the man I love more than life itself, living a long and healthy life. Do I make myself clear?” He pulled Todd up into his arms and kissed him as soundly as he’d spanked him. “Todd, I love you so much. Please don’t fight me on this.”

Todd stepped back, tears shining in his bright blue eyes. Even knowing Hayden had his best interests at heart, he just couldn’t let it go. “I can’t help it, Hayden. I already sold my business, not that I wanted too, mind you,” Todd reminded his partner, his glare intensifying. “But I love this house too much to let someone else have it. Sorry, but I am unable to grant your request not to fight you on this.” Todd felt himself shaking. He rarely ever out and out defied his Top but sometimes a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

Hayden sighed. “I’m going upstairs to change out of these dirty clothes. Then we’re going to have a talk. Why don’t you make us some tea and we can sit out on the deck? It’s a beautiful day to be outdoors.”

“Is this going to be the kind of talk where we both get to speak and we both get to listen?” Todd wanted to know. “Cause if that’s the case; of course I’ll brew some tea. I might even put out a few cookies.”

“My darling, I will always listen to you and I’d think after all these years you’d know that. Now listening does not always mean you get what you want but I hope you know that I have never made a decision that affects our family without seriously considering your feelings and opinions.” He gave Todd a gentle hug and rubbed his back reassuringly. “And yes, I’d love a cookie with my tea.”

Mollified for the moment, Todd relaxed into the strong arms holding him. “Go get changed, my love, while I get a treat ready.” He pushed back and sent Hayden on his way, then set about preparing a tray and carrying it outside.

Hayden stood in the doorway of the kitchen for a few moments, surreptitiously watching Todd preparing their tea. The cut of the designer jeans hugged the long slim legs and the paisley print silk shirt clung in just the right places. God, he loved this man. Even after thirty-five years together, the sight of him still made Hayden hot. He shook himself out of his reverie and ran upstairs to have a quick wash and change into some comfortable clothes.

By the time he made his way back down to the kitchen, Hayden could see Todd on the deck setting down a tray. “That looks wonderful, darling.” He admired the treats laid out on the tray. “Why don’t we sit on the swing together?”

Sitting down beside Hayden, Todd poured tea in a china cup and handed it on a saucer to his husband. He draped a linen napkin over Hayden’s knee and passed him the small crystal plate with the sweets on it. Always happy playing the perfect host, Todd waited until Hayden was served before helping himself. Picking up his cup, he reached for a cookie. “Okay, my beloved, you have the floor,” he quipped.

Hayden grabbed his husband’s reaching hand, holding it back from the cookie plate. “What was your blood sugar this afternoon?”

“Five point six; thank you very much for asking.” Todd was slightly miffed. He still hadn’t come to grips with his health problems and disliked having them come up in everyday conversation.

“That’s good, then either one of the sweet ones or two arrowroot,” Hayden offered.

Todd graciously settled for the arrowroots. He sat back and waited as patiently as possible for Hayden to once again put forth his reasons for them selling. Reasons Todd already knew in his heart of hearts, he had few if any equitable arguments against.

“I know that selling your practice was one of the hardest things I’ve ever asked you to do. But it’s been a month now since you worked and look at how much better your blood sugars are, to say nothing of your blood pressure. And now that I’ve finished at the firm, we have time for each other, my love. We’ve talked and dreamed of our retirement in the past; of how we wanted to travel and enjoy the good life. Well we’ve only moved it forward by a few years and God knows, my love, we can afford it. Money has never been a big issue for us.”

Hayden looked to see if he had his husband’s full attention and satisfied, he went on. “But I also know you’ve been taking calls from the office and don’t deny it, the call display on the phone does not lie. If we stay here, you’re going to get pulled in again. I want us to go somewhere peaceful where we can enjoy ourselves. I want to make love to you morning, noon and night.” He laughed. “Okay, well maybe the old guy can’t get going that often anymore but it’s our time, darling, and it will be good for us. I love you so much. I want to do everything I can to make sure you’re healthy and happy.”

Todd grunted and put his cup down. He leaned heavily against Hayden’s side and laid his head on the other man’s broad shoulder. “You know, I hate it when you use logic.” He smiled sadly up at the love of his life. “The hardest part of all this, is that I feel like I am being punished for having these problems. I mean, it’s not my fault and yet I wonder what I might have done to prevent all this from happening. And although I am slowly resigning myself to the reality of things, I still wish we didn’t have to move.”

“Oh sweetheart, no one is punishing you for having health issues. As far as prevention goes, we both have tried hard to be healthy with our food and getting regular exercise. But your mother had diabetes and I believe you said your uncle did as well, so it is a predisposition you have inherited. All I want to do now is to ensure that this does not shorten your life. I can’t stand the idea of being without you.”

Hayden put his cup on the table and wrapped both arms around Todd. “We have so many choices, my love. I’ve looked at a number of places that offer so much for us; someplace hot and sunny. I was thinking like Palm Springs or Arizona perhaps?”

“You can’t be serious. Hot! I don’t do hot! Well, not that kind of hot.” Todd smirked and wiggled his eyebrows. “Sunny I can do, but I’d also prefer to have the four seasons. I can’t see me getting in the mood to decorate for Christmas in the desert.”

“I can’t talk you into Hawaii or one of those wonderful towns in Florida? They have an entire gay retirement community in Fort Lauderdale,” Hayden suggested.

“Nope!” Todd adamantly shook his head. “No snow in those places either.”

“Snow?” Hayden shook his head. “Snow?” he asked again. “Who retires to places with snow? Good lord man, if we want snow maybe we should move to that little town Zack is living in,” he added jokingly.

“What are you talking about? I love snow!” Todd insisted before softly adding, “Within reason of course.” Suddenly, he sprung up as Hayden’s last words registered. “Are you referring to Jade Heights? Where our Piglet lives? Perfect! What are we waiting for? We’ve got arrangements to make, things to pack, people to notify.” Todd was getting excited.

Hayden was in shock at Todd’s sudden excitement. “Todd, you can’t be serious? You want to move to Jade Heights? Our retirement spent in a small mining town in the interior of British Columbia?”

“Exactly! What a brilliant idea you’ve come up with, my love.”

“But I…but…” Hayden hadn’t meant it as an idea at all; he’d only said it jokingly. However, as he took in the excitement in his beloved’s voice, the first honest excitement he’d heard since Todd got the news from the doctor about his diabetes and blood pressure, he began to think. Heaven knew they missed Zack terribly. Their son was the light of their lives and it had been very hard when the lad decided to move so far from them. ‘Perhaps,’ he thought, ‘this might work.’

“You really want this, my love?” he asked.

Todd gazed into his husband’s beautiful hazel eyes, his own shining with happiness. “More than anything, my darling, more than anything.”

Being unable to deny Todd this heartfelt wish, Hayden agreed. “All right, sweetheart, we’re moving to Jade Heights. I’d just like you to promise me one thing. For three weeks in January every year, we go someplace nice and warm. Can you manage that?”

“Consider it a date; a special time set aside for just the two of us.” Todd threw his arms around Hayden, kissing him passionately.

“Well, I say we should call our son and give him the good news. What do you think?” Hayden suggested when he got his wind back.

“I agree. How about you doing the honours?” Todd offered.

They went through to the kitchen and Hayden dialled the number they had memorized. “Zack, my boy,” he spoke when he heard his son’s voice on the other end of the line. “Do you know a good realtor in Jade Heights?”

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment